Monday 24 August 2009

PONG postmortem.

Hi guys heres the postmortem of the pong game i recently finished.

the good:

I got it finished within a week of starting SDL and it has given me a fairly solid grasp of the language. I managed to implement all the features I was primarily hoping to implement like the main menu. The AI and a semi decent background. It showed me how long it would take me to create alot bigger games and it also showed me that if i keep working at something I can get it done pretty quickly. I am also glad I seperated the main.cpp into seperate files, mainly .h files that held all the class information. All in all i learned alot! and hopefully I can build on this so that in the future I can only create better and better games.

the bad:

I really wish I had spent alot longer on the art but as this was only my first game I thought it would be best to focus on the programming side. If it looks absolutely amazing but it doesn't work then whats the point? I also wish I had added some music so that it was a little less bland. The AI i wish was better as it was basically just a quick hack to get it working. Also I wish I had looked into better .ttf styles rather than just using the ones of the lazyfoo tutorials. I think it would have polished it up a bit. The time it took to code this all in could be greatly improved upon though. And hopefully with my next game it will take me alot less time to get all the fundamentals down so i can concentrate on things like art and gameplay.

overall:

A good first project that i managed to finish and understand all of it fairly well. All the bases were covered here and i think that for my first game using SDL it went well. I will be adding my source code in the next post so you can see how big a hack it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

money maker